Are sales taxes calculated before or after a rebate or incentive is applied? The short answer is: it depends on the state. Please see What Fees Should You Pay? for detailed information on this topic, including a chart that reveals which states apply taxes to incentives and which states do not.
- Can I get a better deal paying cash for a car?
- Should I buy an extended warranty for my car?
- How much can I afford for a lease?
- My lease is up. Should I buy the car or turn it in? (video)
- Are rebates and incentives subject to tax?
- When negotiating a purchase, how low of a price should I start out with? (video)