You'll want to make sure your price is as low as possible but still in the ballpark so dealers know you're a serious buyer. For new cars, look at the True Market Value (average price paid not including taxes and fees). We suggest starting at least 2-3% below the TMV. For used cars, use our appraisal tool and start with $500 above the Trade-In value.
Articles in this section
- Can I get a better deal paying cash for a car?
- Should I buy an extended warranty for my car?
- How much can I afford for a lease?
- My lease is up. Should I buy the car or turn it in? (video)
- Are rebates and incentives subject to tax?
- When negotiating a purchase, how low of a price should I start out with? (video)