You'll want to make sure your price is as low as possible but still in the ballpark so dealers know you're a serious buyer. For new cars, look at the True Market Value (average price paid not including taxes and fees). We suggest starting at least 2-3% below the TMV. For used cars, use our appraisal tool and start with $500 above the Trade-In value.
- What fees should I pay for when buying a car?
- Should I buy a car off the lot or factory order one?
- Can I get a better deal paying cash for a car?
- Are destination charges negotiable?
- When negotiating a purchase, how low of a price should I start out with? (video)
- Should I buy an extended warranty for my car?
- Should I buy a model that is going to be redesigned soon?
- What safety features should I consider in my next car?
- What are incentives and rebates?
- Are rebates and incentives subject to tax?